Friday, June 6, 2008

Social Bookmarking

It seems that, every day, in every way, I'm learning something useful and new with PBCLS23things.
The social bookmarking site, Del.icio.us made me aware of the fact that my own bookmarks and discoveries could be shared with others. I was surprised to find that there were kindred spirits whose interests were similar to mine.

I would like to share a little story to illustrate how entertainment and communication has changed in my lifetime:

When I was a kid, I used to listen to the radio often and had my own favorite programs that I turned on as soon as I got home from school. Many years later, after TV came to town,and radio saw its heyday, I still missed my favorite programs. (Ahh, those were the good old days) Yet, I discovered by seeing an ad in a magazine, that there were people out there who collected radio programs and shared them or made a business by putting those old programs onto cassettes. I sent away for these "old friends", (favorite programs) that I thought were lost to the world and me forever. I was suddenly able to hear them again and they were not lost!
When, in my solitude, I listened to an oldie but goodie wonderful radio program on my tape recorder I thought,"Ha,I'll bet that I'm the only one in Brooklyn, New York and in the United States,that is listening to this old radio program".
That deja vu feeling returned to me today, (only in reverse)when I realized that the wonderful improvements technology has provided;The internet: bookmarks,tags and blogs,tv,etc.,Websites that are readily available via the internet. The Media. yes, the media;all these are becoming valuable assets and tools to erase our isolation. The additional internet tools enable us to share our interests and make it easier for us to communicate in this now changing global world. (For the good, I hope).
Here is the URL to a favorite bookmark of mine:

http://www.radiolovers.com/pages/allshows.html

Now, I can bookmark this url and tag it and share it.


Can bookmarking tagging be useful in the library? I think so, A blog that is created, for example, that reviews materials in our audio/video collection, containing specific tags would be useful to point to those reviews in a specific subject of interest.
This bookmarking application can be applied to education, business, hobbies, internet etc. Now, I understand how it is done. And Thank you PBCLS23things.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home